Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We Sail the Ocean Blue

In coming across this photo a few years ago, I've wondered what role Asher could have possibly been acting as to wear a costume like this:
Photo from personal albums of D. Ahrnsbrak
Still don't know who that girl is...
BUT, I happened to come upon this article from digitalnewspapers.com that I think may shed some valuable light on this query:
SOURCE:Vernal Express 1918, Mar 1, p1
This is an article on the upcoming local performance of the H.M.S. Pinafore as a benefit fundraiser for the Red Cross Military Relief (WWI was still going on at this time).
See how Asher's name is highlighted under the cast list of sailors & mariners?  And that's a local town theater sailor suit if I ever saw one.
It makes me happy to think that Asher had Gilbert & Sullivan lyrics burned into the memory of his brain, and that he probably danced around and sung a little something like this:

Just some food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment