Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Helen Merkley & Byron Owen Colton

Helen Merkley was Asher's older sister. 

Helen married Byron Owen Colton (of Vernal, UT) on 28 Jun 1910 in the Salt Lake Temple.
Thus, she became Helen Merkley Colton.

Photos from the personal albums of Sarah Neilsen
Photoshopped together by me.
An excerpt from the writing "My Life Story- Helen M. Colton" has this to say on the matter:

"... In the year 1909 I was in Salt Lake City going to Kiester Ladies Tailoring School.  I was really homesick being the first time I had been away from my home and parents.  
At the time I had several boy friends and could not make up my mind which one I should make my best friend.  So I kneeled by the window (as I was upstairs and alone in the house at the time) and said, 'Father in Heaven which of the boys shall I choose?'
A sweet voice said to me, 'Burnie Colton is the one for you' and as he was not one of the boys who had been taking me out it made me very thoughtful and changed my way of thinking so that I was not lonely and never have been as lonely since that time.
I know the Lord rules in the important things in our lives and I am very thankful for his care of me and my children.  It was very hard for me to make decisions and know which was the best for me.  The other force was so hard against me.  We were married June 29, 1910 in Salt Lake Temple."

Newspaper notice:
SOURCE: Vernal Express 1910, Jun 24, p.1
Newspaper notice transcribed:
Mr. B.O. Colton Jr., and Miss Helen Merkley left for Salt Lake today.  If there is any one thing in this world better than any other, we wish them that.
* Punctuation and spelling adjusted.

Marriage License:
SOURCE: familysearch.org
Photo from the personal albums of Sarah Neilsen

No comments:

Post a Comment