Monday, February 25, 2013

Ezra Merkley- busted!

I don't know why I get such a kick out of Asher's older brother, Ezra, but I do.  He seemed to live life vibrantly in the short time he was alive, so articles such as this make me smile:

SOURCE: Vernal Express 1907, Jan 12, p.1
Newspaper notice transcribed:
Justice Nebeker's Court.
A few days ago Wallace Oaks, Ezra Merkley, John Merkley and Charles Hatch, all minors, were arraigned before City Justice of the Peace B.D. Nebeker on a charge of frequenting saloons.  The evidence disclosed the fact that the above mentioned defendants had visited saloons but had purchased no liquor, however, they plead guilty to the charge and promised not to repeat the offense.  The Justice suspended sentence upon them during good behaviour, but upon a repetition of the offense they will be called into court and sentenced.
January 7th, 1907
* Punctuation adjusted by me.

Ezra Merkley
You little rabble-rouser...

No comments:

Post a Comment