Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Young Siney Lewis Sr

Siney Lewis Sr was Birda's father.

The following is a photograph of him as a young man.

I am thrilled to know that this photo exists of him, although it took some sleuthing to find it by accident.  Here's to the power of talking to living descendants!

From the personal albums of Dallas Workman
I have never come across even a copy of this photo in all my searching through other people's shoeboxes full of pictures.
The bottom of the portrait photo bears the initials, "S.L." and the back of the photograph is transcribed as: "Siney Lewis, Was Bornd August the 1, 1848.  When this was taken I was 27 years Sevn months, 11 Days old." (But honestly, I can't tell if the days state "11" or "99".  "11" was my best guess...)

So, assuming the inscription is penned by Siney himself, we not only get a sampling of his handwriting, but an approximate date of when the photo was taken.  My math indicates the pose around March or June 1875.

No comments:

Post a Comment