Friday, February 19, 2016

Ellis & Jean postcards

Ellis was Asher's eldest brother.
Ellis Merkley
From the personal albums of Delores Horton, Aug 2012
A few postcards survive between Ellis and his special flame, Jean, when he was serving in the Southern States mission between 1906-1908.  
"Jean Gerber, 1908"
From the personal albums of Delores Horton, Aug 2012
The following are from the personal albums of of Delores Horton, scanned between Sept 2013- April 2014.  Some of the postcards are images of both the front and back of the card, scanned and arranged as a single image.  They have been transcribed below each image to the best of my ability, correcting spelling wherein I was aware.

Heber, June 11, 1906
Here I am in Heber.  Have come up to stay a week or two and then I am going home.  I am roaming so much I don't know when I'll get my mail but I'll write in a day or two.
Best wishes,
Jean
July 8, 1907 (2:30pm)
Dear Jean,
I am now in the depot at Chattanooga and have a few minutes to wait before our train leaves for Atlanta.  I drop you this card to let you know all is fine with me.  I have had a good time so far on my trip but find it hot as love in July.  I am very glad my labors are in Ohio.  I expect a letter to meet me in Atlanta so I will write you again soon.  If you see spots on this card it is sweat not tears so don't you cry.  Be good, keep smiling.
From one who often thinks of Jean


(Stamped: 3 Sept 1907)
Hello Ellis
Dear Ellis-
[Thought] you would like this picture.  Might be of interest to a Vernalite so far away.  I tell you this house is something to be proud of and we all feel thankful for it.  We are all quite well. [Mable?] is feeling pretty well today, in fact for a few days I [thought] I would write tonight but too many children to tend so will try tomorrow.  
With love,
Jean

(no written message, but dated around 1 Nov 1907, addressed to Jean, mailed from Ohio)


Maeser, Utah
Feb 18, 1908
Dear Ellis:
Yours of tenth reached me last night.  Delighted was I?  Well I guess yes.  So you really, truely, surely, intent to come home and that very soon?  You can rest assured that one little girl is having palpitation of the heart.
Wonder if this will reach you ere you depart?  Well if it does or if it don't I am doin' it.  I sorta want to address you at Cinti once again so here goes.
By the by, those valentines ha ha!  They are just too cute for any use.  Such unique affairs, and so expensive of a.. you know. 
I sincerely hope Bro. B. gets well immediately, for his sake for your sake, for my sake.  Don't you?
Say be we had [some] a jolly sleigh ride and dance, Leap Year.  We girls took the boys to a party.  The only regretful remorse was the aftermath occasioned by late hours, I mean early- 4:30 and on.  That isn't bad for Mutual Officers and Pres of Stake D.B. is it?
What if Bro. Bills doesn't get well son, that wicked 'if' makes me stand still often.
Sweetheart I am O so tired tonight so I'll not try to write more.  Remember I am just the same to you.  Will tell you all the stories of two years before many day now.
Lovingly Jean
XXXX
Where shall I send this?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Feb 28 '08
To the Girl I soon will meet
Dear Jean, In [haste] I write you these lines to let you know I soon will be on my way.  I am to go to Chicago on business on the first (Sunday) And will be there perhaps one day and then west I go.  I will likely have Chicago the second and go to Denver.  That will mean the night of the third I will get to Denver.  However this may be one day to fast.  Which I think it is.  I rather expect to get to Denver on the evening of the fourth.  That night if I catch my train out I will be able to get the 2 p.m. train on the Uintah over to Dragon.  Then the stage will bring me in to Vernal on the sixth.  Now I will try and let you know more [definite] so you can meet me if you wish to in the south side of the town.  If all goes well I may send you a wire from Dragon and you get Ezra to come with you to see that all goes well and meet me so I will not have to walk home from town.  By the way don't meet me in the city.  The poeple will think I want to take your life.  And may get me arrested for setting a bad example to the young people.  However I trust that will come out ok.  I am well and happy and hope to see you not long after you get this letter.  I am very busy and have now got to go and see Elder Bills [off] on the train to Columbus.  All are dandy.  I will explain more to you when I speak to you face to face.  Keep smiling and "May God Bless You".  Wishes to You From [Your] wandering sweetheart Who loves You Still, 
Ellis
XXXXX XXXXXX

3 comments:

  1. I am trying to get in touch with the writer of this blog. My name is Pam and I am the granddaughter of Ellen Fletcher. She was Nelson and Kate's niece and they raised her after her mother died. We are cleaning out her house and we have a brass bed that belonged to Nelson Merkley. My grandmother told me that is was purchased for him by his daughter Mary from her first paycheck when she was a teacher at Ricks College. We would like to find one if his descendants to take the bed. Can you help me find someone that would be interested in having it? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Please contact me at: sarahemeline@gmail.com and I can send you the contact info I have for the Merkley family.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pamela and Sarah! Pamela I am the daughter of Lois (Hansen) Chatfield and used to play with Michael at Ellen's. I think we have met.
      We have a Hansen/Merkley/Chatfield Facebook/Message going.
      Sarah is on our site.
      Would you like to come and "play" with us, Pamela? I will try and "Friend" you. I don't make friends easily Joke.
      I am putting some "stuff" that Sarah has on my site.
      Sarah I lifted the picture of Isabrand and Mary from your site (thanks) and found Isabrand's draft card.
      I am putting it onto our site soon (I know....). Mom loves it so thanks for this blog.

      Delete